Frequently asked questions and solutions
Q: PostgreSQL vs. MySQL
Since Django abstracts database operations from a functional point of view Mayan EDMS will behave exactly the same either way. The only concern would be that MySQL doesn’t support transactions for schema modifying commands. The only moment this could cause problems is when running South migrations during upgrades, if a migration fails the database structure is left in a transitory state and has to be reverted manually before trying again.
Q: _mysql_exceptions. OperationalError: (1267, “Illegal mix of collations (latin1_swedish_ci, IMPLICIT) and (utf8_general_ci, COERCIBLE) for operation ‘=’”)
$ mayan-edms.py shell
>>> from django.db import connection >>> cursor = connection.cursor() >>> cursor.execute('SHOW TABLES') >>> results= >>> for row in cursor.fetchall(): results.append(row) >>> for row in results: cursor.execute('ALTER TABLE %s CONVERT TO CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE utf8_general_ci;' % (row))
Q: Incorrect string value: ``’xE2x80x95rs6...’`` for column ``’content’`` at row 1
MySQL and doing OCR on languages other than English
- Use utf-8 collation on MySQL server, or at least in table ‘documents_documentpage’, ‘content’ field
- Ref: 1- http://groups.google.com/group/django-users/browse_thread/thread/429447086fca6412
- Ref: 2- http://markmail.org/message/bqajx2utvmtriixi
Q: Error “django.db.utils.IntegrityError IntegrityError: (1452, ‘Cannot add or update a child row: a foreign key constraint fails (`...`.`...`, CONSTRAINT `..._refs_id_b0252274` FOREIGN KEY (`...`) REFERENCES `...` (`...`))’)
- Convert all MySQL tables to the same type, either all MyISAM or InnoDB
Q: File system links not showing when serving content with ``Samba``
Disable unix extensions in the [global] section and enable wide links for the file serving share
[global] unix extensions = no ... [digitalizacion] path = /var/local/mayan guest ok = yes read only = yes wide links = yes follow symlinks = yes
Q: How do you upload a new version of an existing file?
- Choose a document, and go to the versions tab, on the right menu at
the bottom under
Other available actionthere is
Upload new version. Clicking it will take you to a very similar view as the
Upload new documentbut you will be able to specify version number and comments for the new version being uploaded.
- Choose a document, and go to the versions tab, on the right menu at the bottom under
Q: Is virtualenv required as specified in the documentation?
- It is not necessary, but it’s a strong recommendation mainly to reduce dependency conflicts by isolation from the main Python system install. If not using a virtualenv, pip would install Mayan’s dependencies globally coming in conflict with the distribution’s prepackaged Python libraries messing other Django projects or Python programs, or another later Python/Django project dependencies coming into conflict causing Mayan to stop working for no apparent reason.
Q: Mayan EDMS installed correctly and works, but static files are not served
Django’s development server doesn’t serve static files unless the
option is set to
True, this mode of operation should only be used for
development or testing. For production deployments the management command:
$ mayan-edms.py collectstatic
should be used and the resulting
static folder served from a webserver.
For more information, read https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/dev/howto/static-files/
and https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/1.2/howto/static-files/ or
Q: Can you change the display order of documents...i.e can they be in alphabetical order?
A the moment no, but it is something being considered.
Q: Does Mayan EDMS work with Python 3?
Not at the moment. When all the projects and libraries upon which Mayan is dependent support Python 3 then will the project move to fully support Python 3.
Q: The watched folder feature is not working
Make sure that the Celery BEAT scheduler is running correctly as it is the element that triggers the periodics tasks.